Tate's Cairns to Tsz Wan Shan / Wong Tai Sin 大老山至慈雲山/黃大仙


As I returned to Hong Kong after my first big trip to Europe in 1991, a new tunnel was seen near my home, the Tate's Cairn Tunnel. It greatly enhanced the traffic from Shatin to Kowloon East and Hong Kong Island. The meteorological station 大老山氣象站 on top of the hill always stands proudly there. One day, I walked closer to it but was still far away. It's on the day that I walked from the Tate's Cairn Tunnel to Wong Tai Sin.  It took only slightly over two hours.



I just walked up from my village to the Tate's Cairn Tunnel. You can take any bus passing the tunnel and get off right there. Get over the foot bridge closer to the tunnel and walk towards the hill. You will see a big path easily.


Soon, you will pass by a pond with clear water. The environment is peaceful and calm. It is said that the water is healthy and clean. People come with buckets and trolley to gather water home.


Just follow the path straight ahead. The street is steep. Hikers coming from the opposite direction were careful on every step going down. My ascending was demanding but manageable.


In less than 15 minutes, you will see villas dotted the area. The place is called Guanyin Mountain. It's remote and peaceful. Cars often passed by. So, be careful!


Views of the East Kowloon can be glimpsed in the area.


Always follow the main path. You will see a sign of Kwun Ping Road 觀坪路. Go straight and soon you will see a small path going downward to Tsz Ching Estate. I did not take this shortcut but remained on the main street till the cross road.


Follow the road side and continue on Kwun Ping Road.  It is a street on the edge of the hill. Great views on the east Kowloon are always available. It's a pity for the foggy views on my day.




You will reach the Lion Rock Pavilion 獅子亭 in about 1.5 hours after the starting point at the Tate's Cairn Tunnel. It is in Chinese style with green roof and red columns.


Going further, you have an option to visit the Lion Rock Park. As I was not well prepared, I skipped this and continued the way to Tsz Wan Shan 慈雲山 and then Wong Tai Sin 黃大仙.  When you see Fazang Temple 法藏寺, it is very close to Tsz Wan Shan.


Continue to descend, you will reach Tsz Wan Shan. Yes, it's steep to walk down. If you are tired, take any minibus passing by to reach Wong Tai Sin. I chose to walk and take a bus back to Shatin.

Tsz Wan Shan

Wong Tai Sin

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Croatia Trip - Split - Baptistery & Mt. Marjan

Kbal Spean

Marshal Zen Garden Beitou 北投少帥禪園