Milan Antique Market - Naviglio Grande


Limoges tea cup
I don't know when I started to like antique.  But it only limits to affordable ones.  Perhaps, it is because my friend studied Germanistik (German literature) and he loves to visit churches for the architecture, sculptures, paintings, etc.  They are all historical, exist for several centuries.

I visit Milan from time to time.  If it is the last Sunday of the month I will go to Naviglio Grande for the once a month antique market (except August and December). There are about 300 to 400 stalls selling different stuff.  My favourable categories are tea or expresso cup and accessories. Apart from these two, you will often see tableware, off season fashion (even fur), handbag, furniture, lamp, chandelier, etc. There are still other antique markets. Click here to see the full list.  If you are not into antique, the canal still should be one of your sightseeing points. It is lively with many shops, small eateries and restaurants.


My tea / expresso cup collection includes: a Limoges porcelain tea cup from the 40s (as I was told), orange and white shell expresso cup (€8), blue & gold expresso cup (€8) and one set of four white with gold strip expresso cups (€5).



For accessories, I've a red stone ring, some brooches, a pair of enamel earrings from the UK, a pendant and a necklace.  My favourite is the ring.


Wanna have a look of the stalls there?  Here are some.  It is a fantastic experience to look around. If I have a big house, I may buy some furniture, lamps and tableware from there.  Ha, a dream! Sometimes, you can really get big bargains. Last winter I paid €45 for two cashmere pullover from a side street there (no antique but new from factory). 

 
 
 
 





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Croatia Trip - Split - Baptistery & Mt. Marjan

Kbal Spean

Hong Kong Heritage Museum - The Hakkas and Fishing Origin