Lau Shui Heung Hiking 流水響



I joined a hiking group at Facebook about two weeks ago and read about Lau Shui Heung 流水響.  It is known for the gorgeous reflection of Paperbark trees 白千層. And one can take a hike to reach Hok Tau 鶴藪, another reservoir in the north of the New Territories. I visited Lau Shui Heung twice in a week. In this article I'll talk more on tips of taking the paperbark tree reflection and hike up to the high point. Then I'll talk about a shorter tour to Hok Tau in the next one.


I arrived at Lau Shui Heung by a minibus after 12 pm. After getting off, just went to the right and a bit upwards to arrive at the reservoir.

Continued on the right will have a great view of the reservoir.  Sunshine was strong. I could not see the reflection but still enjoyed the view of trees surrounding the reservoir and the flowing water.


Going further will be a dead end which a dam blocks the way. So, I went back and took the big street on the left. On the way prior to reaching a BBQ area, there is a small path leading to the water. Just before the end of the path, a diversion on the right allows you to have a closer view of the paperbark trees.  Go a bit further and if lucky you will be able to take a world-class photo.


Walk passed the BBQ area, on the right is a line of shrubs.  There is a great view over the paperbark trees and the reflection.  Well, I could take it.  I guess the reflection would be clearer on a cloudy day.


Continue the way you will see a bridge which takes you to the paper bark trees.  I could see nice reflection of the opposite shore.



Next, let's go for hiking! There are two ways to reach Hok Tau. I followed a family after seeing the trees (red path). I was going higher and higher. When I took a rest the children followed close to me. We walked till the intersection. There is a signage to go to Lau Shui Heung. But nothing was written for Hok Tau.



The vegetation is nice. Black fungus was in the damp area. Green dotted the whole place. Walking up was harsh.  The green made it more pleasant.


We went further to the south, higher altitude. Until we reached a wired tower and saw people walking from Tai Po, we knew we went the wrong way but should go back to the intersection to take the path to Lau Shui Heung which a detour will lead us to Hok Tau.



Going high wasn't bad at all. I could enjoy panoramic views of the surroundings.  There is a trick: go up the stairs for maintaining the slopes.





Going high with sweat.  The prizes are closer to the sky and fabulous views. I was proud to make it.  Next, I'll talk about the much shorter way from Lau Shui Heung to Hok Tau and a local farm.  P.S. If I haven't walked passed the intersection, the time of taking the longer way is estimated as 3 hours.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Croatia Trip - Split - Baptistery & Mt. Marjan

Kbal Spean

Hong Kong Heritage Museum - The Hakkas and Fishing Origin